Website Pages

Saturday, August 21, 2010

A Review: Eye-Fi Pro X2 8GB + Wi-Fi

During the past year I was exposed to Eye-Fi advertising that looked worthy of further investigation. Like some many other ads I plan on looking into, this one went to end of my priority list until I was suddenly faced with a need to connect a camera wirelessly to my laptop at an event.  I learned in the two months prior, that other event photographers had successfully incorporated the Eye-Fi cards into their workflow.  Armed with that knowledge I purchased an Eye-Fi Pro X2 8GB+Wi-Fi   card from Amazon.  

The Eye-Fi Pro X2 8GB+Wi-Fi card arrived yesterday in a package about the same size as a DVD.  The box contained an almost useless paper manual (software installation instructions) and the Eye-fi card pre-inserted into a sdhc to usb adapter. 

Installation software for the Eye-Fi card came loaded on the Eye-Fi card.  Installing the software went smoothly and requires an internet connection to configure the Wi-Fi to your network.  This is one thing I would like to see change.  Any program that can be run via the internet to update the settings on the Eye-Fi card should also be able to run locally.

When the software was through configuring the Eye-Fi card for my home network, it instructed me to remove the card from the laptop, put it in the camera and take a picture.  The picture is supposed to show up in Eye-Fi Central, the software that Eye-Fi uses to let you upload photos and video quickly and easily to social networking sites. 

Here was where I encountered my first problem.  I loaded the Eye-Fi card into my 1DsmkII and took a photo…,   a RAW photo.   The images transferred to my laptop without any trouble, but that final window in the configuration software where I was supposed to be able to see my photo seemed to hang..,   of course it seemed to hang, the RAW file I took was over 17mb’s in size…  and I have a DSL connection to the internet.   When it appeared I was never going to see the image in the Eye-Fi Central, I closed it and moved on.

Next, I walked around the house with camera in hand and took a series of jpeg images. When I returned to the laptop,  all the images had transferred.  Okay, this test was successful, but I was connecting to my home networks wireless router and my goal was to connect to connect directly to my laptop in ad-hoc mode. 

Initially I though I couldn’t do it from the main network screen in Eye-Fi Central and ended up trying to configure the Eye-Fi card to look for my laptop that same way it would look for a Wi-Fi hotspot.  After going through the software settings several times and changing my laptop to ad-hoc mode, I was I able to achieve a connection.   Unfortunately after power cycling the laptop and the sdhc card, I was unable to connect again.

Ultimately, I did figure my connections out, although I didn’t know it because Zone Alarm was blocking the incoming signal from the Eye-Fi card. Once I closed Zone Alarm I was able to confirm my settings and restart Zone Alarm.  

I have re-booted the laptop several times and also moved the card from the 1DsmkII to the 1DmkIII.  Each time I turn the camera on and take a photo the image transfers to the laptop without a hitch.    A raw file from the mkIII takes 38 seconds to transfer from the time the shutter is pressed.  Jpeg’s are much quicker, with a M2 jpeg taking approximately four seconds.

The first time I ever tethered a camera to a computer I used Canons software. I also used Canons software at the first event I offered photos printed on location. In addition to that, I used Lightroom, which can be set to auto import files from a watched folder.  LR3 offers the ability to tether a camera now, but with the Eye-Fi available, you can skip the tether and transfer your images.

According to Eye-Fi, only the Pro version is capable of ad-hoc connections and transferring RAW files. You can compare the X2 models here.

No comments:

Post a Comment